mortar & pestle or food processor
- 1 tsp White peppercorns
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 2 Green spur chilis, seeds removed and chopped
- 1 Green bird’s eye chili, chopped (for spiciness)
- 1 Stalk Lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Galanga ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Kaffir lime rind (skin), finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Shallots, finely chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Coriander root, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Salt
Roast cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and white peppercorns in dry wok until brown.
Place roasted seeds in a mortar and pound until powdered.
Add green spur chilis, bird’s eye chili, and salt into mortar and pound with the powdered seeds until a fine paste.
Add galanga ginger and lemongrass and smash to a fine paste.
Add coriander root, kaffir skin (peel) and continue to smash to a paste.
Add garlic and shallots and smash to a fine paste.
Add turmeric powder and mix well. Finished and ready to use.
*RECIPES & VIDEOS–
Recipes presented here will vary some from your class. Every instructor teaches differently, and cooking is an art, not a science. No two chefs will cook the same dish identically. This is why the same dish eaten in multiple restaurants will all taste a bit different. There is no such thing as “one” perfect recipe. These recipes have been reviewed by us and prepared by one of our instructors.
VIDEOS are prepared by Chef Dao, one of our instructors. Here is a link to her YouTube channel: